Job no: 498122
Work type: Full-time
Location: TCU Main Campus
Categories: Clerical and Office Services
||The Academic Advisor is responsible to supports department programs by providing individual or group student advising on academic, career-related issues, programs and curriculum; assisting student in obtaining desired academic outcome.
|Duties & Essential Job Functions:
||1. Provides academic advising services to undergraduate students by conducting individual and group counseling/advising sessions.
2. Determines nature of student's situation by responding to inquiries; interviewing students, auditing student records.
3. Recommends a course of action by advising students on progress toward degree completion; ensuring requirements are met; providing alternate strategies for “at risk” students and monitoring progress.
4. Monitors planned actions by periodic follow up; receiving, processing and maintaining required documents; maintain databases; providing reports; analyzing information.
5. Supports academic programs by providing student skills techniques, time management and related academic information to students; evaluating students' academic abilities and skills; assisting students in developing academic plans.
6. Supports department programs by planning and implementing new student's orientation programs and advising activities; developing materials to enhance programs and services.
7. Coordinates advising functions by serving as a liaison between students' faculty; and academic department and other campus services.
8. Serves as liaison for school and academic departments by interpreting academic policies and procedure and curriculum issues.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
|Required Education & Experience:
||• Bachelor's degree.
• 2 years experience in advising/counseling students in higher education or related field, including identifying students struggling academically.
|Preferred Education & Experience:
|Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
||• Valid Texas Driver's License.
• Must be insurable under the university motor vehicle requirements.
|Preferred Licensure, Certification, and/or Specialized Training:
|Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
||• Knowledge to teach study skills and time management techniques.
• Knowledge of curriculum and degree requirements.
• Knowledge of university programs.
• Knowledge of customer service techniques.
• Knowledge to establish and maintain databases.
• Skill in the use of Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Skill in the use of PeopleSoft or equivalent data records systems.
• Skill in effective written and verbal communications.
• Ability to interact with students.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
|TCU Core Competencies:
|Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
||• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
||• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
• This role is an on-campus, in-person position.
• There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
• The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
||As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend