Job no: 497178
Work type: Full-time
Location: TCU Main Campus
Categories: Managerial / Administration
||The Academic Advisor is responsible for supporting graduate programs by providing individual student and group advising on academic programs and curriculum; assisting students in obtaining desired academic outcomes.
|Duties & Essential Job Functions:
||1. Provides academic advising services to graduate students by conducting individual and group counseling/advising sessions.
2. Coaches students related to academic matters. Responds to inquiries, interviews students, audits student records. Advises students on progress toward degree completion; ensures requirements are met; providing alternate strategies for “at risk” students and monitoring progress.
3. Conducts periodic follow up; receiving, processing and maintaining required documents; maintaining databases; providing reports; analyzing information.
4. Supports academic programs by providing student skills techniques, time management and related academic information to students; evaluating students’ academic abilities and skills; assisting students in developing academic plans.
5. Supports department programs by developing and delivering content for academic portions of new student orientation programs and advising activities; develops materials to enhance programs and services.
6. Serves as a liaison between students, faculty, academic department and other campus services when needed.
7. Tracks student progress and completions of certificate programs, and prints certificates.
8. Audits class enrollments to ensure that students are enrolled correctly. Works with students and faculty to resolve issues. Issues class permissions as needed.
9. Compiles, tracks and enters data related to graduate student scholarships to ensure that scholarship allocations are aligned with student enrollments each semester.
10. Assists with degree plan audits for graduation candidates each semester.
11. Leads administration of the Global Study Abroad registration process each year.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
|Required Education & Experience:
||• Bachelor’s degree.
• 2 plus years’ experience in advising/counseling students in higher education or related field.
|Preferred Education & Experience:
||• Master’s degree and 3 years of experience in higher education.
• Experience with academic advising.
|Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
|Preferred Licensure, Certification, and/or Specialized Training:
|Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
||• Knowledge of curriculum and degree requirements.
• Knowledge of university programs.
• Knowledge of customer service techniques.
• Knowledge to establish and maintain databases.
• Skill in the use of Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Skill in the use of PeopleSoft or equivalent data records systems.
• Skill in effective written and verbal communications.
• Ability to interact with students.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Ability to compile, track and format data.
• Ability to work collaboratively with team members.
|Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
||• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face- to-face interactions.
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
||• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
• There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
• The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
||As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend