||The Manager of Editorial Services is responsible for developing, writing, editing, and assigning professional editorial content, which includes but not limited to news items, blog posts, podcasts, live panels, videos, long-form features, profiles and research stories for the university’s magazines (both print and digital editions) and for other publications as assigned. The manager will be in charge of developing editorial strategy for the alumni and alma matters sections of TCU Magazine as well as the web-only short-form content and be the assistant editor of the university’s annual research publication. This position manages the department’s audience outreach strategy by overseeing and executing social media strategies, growing and engaging with audiences. The manager also handles lead editing for various forms of multimedia extras. This position manages Editorial Services’ student internship program and performs copy-editing and proofreading duties for all types of university communication. The manager supports the Director of Editorial Services with implementing strategic editorial plans, policies and procedures, and integrates efforts with the broader university communication team.
|Duties & Essential Job Functions:
||1. Develops and writes stories and other editorial content on deadline for TCU Magazine and Endeavors.
2. Plans and edits Comrades True features, Q&A’s and web exclusives.
3. Manages and edits the Alma Matters section of TCU Magazine, including being in charge of planning and collecting data for all infographics.
4. Plans and manages social media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.
5. Assists with research content editing for TCU Magazine and Endeavors.
6. Coordinates with faculty on fact-checking research content.
7. Collaborates on overarching editorial strategy by developing and maintaining an insightful understanding of TCU’s mission and strategic plan.
8. Manages the Editorial Services internship program.
9. Assists with planning long-range editorial content for TCU Magazine and Endeavors.
10. Copyedits and proofreads Editorial Services and other university content.
11. Provides support and maintains schedules for the TCU Magazine and Endeavors digital outreach plan, which in addition to social media posts includes Facebook Live and short-form web-exclusive content.
12. Produces, assigns, and manages multimedia extras in collaboration with the new media specialist.
13. Manages outreach to alumni featured in the magazine.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
|Required Education & Experience:
||• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, media studies or related field or equivalent in experience.
• 8 plus years of experience in writing and editing news and feature stories, especially in long-form journalism and writing for web, with a proven track record of producing high-impact and accurate editorial content in a deadline-driven environment at either a daily newspaper or general-interest magazine.
• Experience with audience growth and engagement strategies through social media and SEO.
|Preferred Education & Experience:
||• Advanced degree.
• Assignment editing experience.
• Proficiency with WordPress.
• Experience using digital analytic tools to produce reports for SEO purposes.
|Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:
|Preferred Licensure, Certification, and/or Specialized Training:
|Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
||• Knowledge of AP style and the standards of journalism ethics and accuracy.
• Knowledge of the dynamics of a university magazine and the role it plays supporting the brand of the university.
• Knowledge of project management techniques with the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects.
• Knowledge of electronic media, its impact on printed publications.
• Knowledge of social media platforms.
• Knowledge of working on Macintosh computers using Creative Adobe Suite.
• Excellent skill in writing and the ability to edit.
• Skill in oral and written communications.
• Skill in the supervision of freelancers and student interns.
• Ability to work with key administrators, internal staff writers, designers, editors, photographers and printers.
• Ability to manage editorial projects with efficiency in a deadline-driven work environment.
• Ability to work independently as well as collaborate as a team member.
|Physical Requirements (With or Without Accommodations):
||• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
||• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
• There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
• The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
||As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.