The Supervisor, Sports Turf is responsible for coordinating day-to-day mowing and maintenance practices for TCU’s athletic fields, as well as landscaping in coordination with the Sports Turf Manager; supervising staff.
1. Develop and maintain mowing schedule for all fields including Amon Carter Stadium, Moncrief Practice Football Fields, Rosenthal Soccer Field, intramural fields, track infield and common areas adjacent.
2. Implements fertilization schedule as well as herbicide and pesticide schedule in conjunction with the Sports Turf Manager.
3. Operates chemical and fertilization equipment and participates in the operation and maintenance of irrigation systems.
4. Along with Sports Turf Manager, coordinates all cultural practices including, but not limited to aeration, vertical mowing, topdressing, and sweeping.
5. Supervises painting of all athletic fields including NCAA soccer, NCAA football, NCAA track and field as well as various club sports.
6. Maintains a positive and working relationship with all coaching staffs.
7. In attendance for football game day, soccer games, track meets, and any baseball functions when deemed necessary by Sports Field Manager or Assistant Sports Field Manager.
8. Supervises staff by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring and appraising job results; coaching, counseling and disciplining staff; initiating, coordinating and enforcing systems, policies and procedures.
9. Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
10. Complies with federal, state, and local safety regulations by identifying and anticipating safety and health concerns and hazards; enforcing adherence to regulations; advising management on needed actions.
11. Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
12. Ensures operation of tools and equipment used in the job by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
13. Maintains continuity among work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities and continuing needs.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
• 3 years of technical training in agronomy, turf management, horticulture or equivalent in experience.
• 2 years of experience with sports turf at college level or professional level.
• 2 or 4 year degree in Agronomy, Turf Management, horticulture or equivalent.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License.
• Must be insurable under the university motor vehicle requirements.
• Satisfactory results from a post-offer physical examination.
• Pesticide license or the ability to obtain license within 6 months.
• Knowledge of NCAA standards for football, soccer, and track surfaces.
• Knowledge of the care and use of plant materials and pesticides.
• Knowledge of landscaping techniques.
• Knowledge of planning and organization techniques.
• Knowledge of customer service techniques.
• Skill in operating and maintaining commercial landscaping equipment.
• Ability to train, evaluate and supervise staff.
University Core Competencies definitions may be found on the Human Resources website and in the staff performance management system.
• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling, climbing ladders and stairs, and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 50 lbs.
• Willingness to work overtime, weekends, and holidays.
• Work is indoors/outdoors and not sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
• This role is an on campus, in-person position.
• May be exposed to hazardous materials and noxious fumes on occasion. Exposure to chemical fertilizers and to pesticides.
• The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Texas Christian University is committed to assisting all members of the campus community in providing for their own safety and security. TCU’s Annual Security Report and Fire Safety Report is published in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy & Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and the Higher Education Opportunity Act. This report includes statistics for the previous three calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings owned or controlled by the University, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The statements of policy contained within this report address institutional policies, procedures, and programs concerning campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, emergency notifications and timely warning of crimes, sexual and interpersonal violence, and personal safety at TCU. Additionally, this report outlines fire safety systems, policies and procedures for on-campus housing facilities, as well as residence hall fire statistics.
The Annual Security Report and Fire Safety Report can be found on the TCU Police Department website at https://police.tcu.edu/annual-security-report, or a paper copy of the report may be obtained by contacting the TCU Police Department at 817-257-7930, or via email at email@example.com.
We've sent an email!
Thank you for your interest in a career at TCU!