The Tutor is responsible for providing individual and small group tutoring to student-athletes in the AASO facilities, and assisting in improving academic achievement by meeting with student-athletes on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Other assistance might include: reviewing class material, discussing the text, preparing for tests, brainstorming ideas for papers, or working on solutions to practice problems. Tutoring is a supplement to classroom instruction. The Tutor will report to their assigned Learning Specialist and/or the Tutor Coordinator.
1. Works with student-athletes, individually or in small groups, to provide supplemental instruction (including but not limited to reviewing principles, solving practice problems and reviewing for tests).
2. Encourages critical thinking and ensures that student-athletes' knowledge is challenged and explored.
3. Collaborates and communicates with AASO staff members and implement supplemental instruction based on the expectations and standards established by the AASO.
4. Fosters professional relationships with student-athletes to encourage academic and personal growth.
5. Ensures accurate and timely submission of all required documents including but not limited to reports, availability submission, meeting agendas, etc.
6. Maintains confidentiality and adheres to all FERPA guidelines.
7. Learns and adheres to NCAA, Big 12, and Texas Christian University rules and regulations by attending all mandatory training and compliance meetings.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Completion of two full-time terms from an accredited institution of higher education (as established by provided transcript documentation)
• Earned an A or B in the course(s) to be tutored (as established by provided transcript documentation)
• Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher from an accredited institution of higher education (as established by provided transcript documentation)
• Tutoring or teaching experience.
• Completion of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
• Knowledge and competence in the subject matter.
• Knowledge and successful application of various academic skills.
• Skill in organization and ability to complete paperwork in a timely manner.
• Skill in Microsoft Office Suite
• Skill in Adobe Acrobat
• Skill in using Zoom or other virtual meeting software
• Ability to manage multiple complex assignments with sensitivity to deadlines, priorities, and changing circumstances.
• Ability to explain concepts to others effectively and ability to effectively communicate study strategies to ensure academic success.
• Ability to conduct and facilitate tutoring sessions individually or in small groups.
• Ability to maintain required documentation and tutoring notes.
• Ability to work with student-athletes of diverse, ethnic backgrounds.
• Ability to exhibit characteristics of responsibility and desire to help others with discretion and flexibility.
• Ability to work independently by applying critical thinking and problem-solving skills in various situations.
University Core Competencies definitions may be found on the Human Resources website and in the staff performance management system.
• Visual acuity to read information from computer screens, forms and other printed materials and information.
• Able to speak (enunciate) clearly in conversation and general communication.
• Hearing ability for verbal communication/conversation/responses via telephone, telephone systems, and face-to-face interactions.
• Manual dexterity for typing, writing, standing and reaching, flexibility, body movement for bending, crouching, walking, kneeling and prolonged sitting.
• Lifting and moving objects and equipment up to 10 lbs.
• Work is indoors and sedentary and is subject to schedule changes and/or variable work hours.
• There are no harmful environmental conditions present for this job.
• The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.
As an AA/EEO employer, TCU recruits, hires, and promotes qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, genetic information, covered veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
This job description includes the expectation of compliance with NCAA regulations. An institutional staff member who is found in violation of NCAA regulations shall be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in the provisions of the NCAA enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repetitive violations.
Texas Christian University is committed to assisting all members of the campus community in providing for their own safety and security. TCU’s Annual Security Report and Fire Safety Report is published in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy & Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and the Higher Education Opportunity Act. This report includes statistics for the previous three calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings owned or controlled by the University, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. The statements of policy contained within this report address institutional policies, procedures, and programs concerning campus security, alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, emergency notifications and timely warning of crimes, sexual and interpersonal violence, and personal safety at TCU. Additionally, this report outlines fire safety systems, policies and procedures for on-campus housing facilities, as well as residence hall fire statistics.
The Annual Security Report and Fire Safety Report can be found on the TCU Police Department website at https://police.tcu.edu/annual-security-report, or a paper copy of the report may be obtained by contacting the TCU Police Department at 817-257-7930, or via email at email@example.com.
We've sent an email!
Thank you for your interest in a career at TCU!